Wednesday, May 11, 2005

TEAM RESULTS

To all interested parties,
This is my third year as a freshman strength and conditioning coach at Fountain Valley High School. I am very fortunate to work with a coaching staff that allows me to do whatever I want. Of course, results are what we are all about. I would like to thank John Shipp, the Head Coach and Corey Dickson, the Varsity Strength Coach for their support.
I would also like to thank the freshman class of 2005, for doing an absolutely great job. Your ability to tolerate me (yeah,yeah,yeah!) and your desire to get better will take you places you have never gone to before. This will probably be the class that I will compare others to for some time to come.
I am a technique junkie because I believe it lessens the possibilities of injuries, increases the athletes strengths, and potentially will make them a better athlete regardless of the sport they compete in. Because of that I believe the athlete will also make better progress. Because of that, I do not accept high squats, puffed numbers, or numbers from people I'm not responsible for their success. In the following data, I have not included three groups of people:
1) Athletes that have natural talent, and did not lift with the group. I just had 2 volleyball players do great vertical jumps (VJ) and great standing long jumps (LJ).
2) I also get sophomores or juniors that are being introduced to weight training for the first time. Even though they are going through the same learning curve, they are not freshman.
3) Athletes that compete in multiple sports (3) and put next to no effort in the weight room.

With that in mind here are the results:
*Box Squat at or below parallel Team Average 152%
130% or more 22 each
*Power Clean Team Average 101%
110% or more 8 each
*Hang Clean Team Average 97%
100% or more 9 each
*Bench Press Team Average 111%
110% or more 15 each
*Incline Bench Press Team Average 97%
100% or more 12 each
*Long Jump Team Average 86"
90" or more 10 each
*Vertical Jump Team Average 23.5"
24" or more 8 each
*3 consecutive hops Team Average 264.6"
265" or more 9 each

When it reads 110% of a paricular lift, that is a comparison of bodyweight versus the amount being lifted. If an athlete weighs 150 pounds and power cleans 150 pounds that athlete did 100% of their bodyweight. The power snatch from the hang, was introduced in the last 6 weeks prior to spring ball. We also use a series of medicine ball throws and speed lifts in the squat and bench press. Whenever I train a large team like football, I base these numbers on the 25 best athletes. With other sports, like basketball, the numbers would be smaller. If this were a varsity football team, I would base it on 50 because of juniors and seniors on the same team.
I am an evaluation and research guy, that constantly reviews things. That is why the athletes that are there the most, do the best. I am able to evaluate their weaknesses, and thus fine tune things per their weaknesses. We also have four sub 4.8 40's and 4 sub 4.8 pro agility times. I will be working that more at length in the next few months. I am in the process of evaluating some new concepts that I will be using with the next class and other programs. These programs include basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, and possibly tennis. If you have any questions I can be reached at acudave@yahoo.com