Wednesday, June 08, 2005

UDO'S OIL

As a writer I am always looking for interesting information on sports performance enhancement. Sometimes it can come from unusual sources. I was in Kinko's this morning, sending a fax off. There was a line of about 6 people. One of the customers had twin sons with him. They were are 5 or six years old and I don't think their names were Chris and Christian! (inside joke to everyone associated with FV football). There was music playing in the background that I thought was appropriate. A song from the early 80's called "Mirror Man" by the Human League was playing. I guess if you are twins you are looking at a mirror man if both twins are male. The Human League had a big hit in "Don't You Want Me Baby", when MTV got into the scene. Not a bad tune.
So what is the point Dave. Well I always thought that if you use things that have been successful with others, that the same could happen to you. "Don't reinvent the wheel" as they say. So in a sense you will "mirror" what other successful people do. One such person is Udo Erasmus. He is the person behind Udo's Oil. May be not the most original name, but it gets the job done. Udo's Oil is an excellent source for essential fatty acids (EFA).
In my 5/13/02 article "Nutrition Basics Part 2" one topic I briefly spoke about is EFA. There are 2 EFA or what could be referred to as "good fats". I know that sounds odd but EFA are necessary for us to exist. The body is not capable of producing them, so they need to be attained through the diet. The two EFA are:
1)Alpha-Linoleic Acid (ALA)- No this has nothing to do with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim! I think they are the LAA. Anyway, ALA is important for healthy cell membrane, proper development and Functioning of the brain and nervous system, and other important processes in our body. You can get ALA from cold pressed or canola oil, walnuts, wheat germ, leafy green veggies, and flax seed oil. I know, everyone has all those things in their diet at the present time. Not!!!
2)Linoleic Acid (LA)- The importance of this EFA is cell membrane phospholipids and many other reactions throughout the body. Actually for the nerds in the audience, I guess you can include me to some extent, if you go to wikipedia.org or nih.org you can find some in depth information on EFA. Sources for LA include black currant, evening primrose oil, and hemp seeds. Hey, more stuff that all americans have on a daily basis. Yeah, right!!!
Udo's Oil is a great source for both ALA and LA. The typical ratio between LA:ALA should be approximately 3:1. Unfortunately LA is found in many processed foods, and the average American's ratio of LA:ALA could be as high as 20:1! Another reason to clean up the diet.
For all the information you will ever want to know on Udo's Oil go to udoerasmus.com. It is available in capsule or oil.
Udo's Oil is available locally at health food stores like The Sports Nutrition Depot on 17th Street in Costa Mesa. Ask for Ryan.
"I was working as a cocktail waitress when I met you, that much is true"...... I guess that song will be in my head for a while. I'll have to go listen to some 50 cent to clean it out!
Thank you one and all for all the comments and questions. I can be reached at acudave@yahoo.com