Tuesday, July 12, 2005

WEBSITES

I often get asked what websites I look at. Matter of fact, this is probably the most often asked question. My favorite website is elitefitnesssystems.com. Louis Simmons is the person that is responsible for any strength gains I make after the age of 40. Elite sells a lot of his and other products. Louie also has a separate website called westside-barbell.com. In the April and June issues of Powerlifting USA, you can read a fairly detailed history of his lifting over the last 25 years. Unfortunately he has had surgery recently, which may permanently shut him down.
Westside barbell is a template or system that can be adapted to many different sports. I have even use a derivative of it with tennis players!
I initially used the box squat in the 1980's. I was fortunate enough to train with George Frenn, who was the originator of the box squat. We used it differently than what is used today, but I did not fully appreciate what I was learning. In 1997, a few powerlifters started reading Louis Simmons articles in Powerlifting USA. My experiences the second time around where different. One key element I did not buy into was the knee position. My first cycle pushed my squat to 335 for two. I use a 8.5 inch box. Unfortunately my knees were so sore I could not squat for three weeks. I repeated the process and squatted 350 easy! I was impressed with the improvement with little effort I was putting into it, but again my knees were very sore. Again, I was out 4 weeks this time. Yes I am stubborn at times. This time I backed off the weight and kept my knees over my ankles. It was at that point I experienced no soreness. Wow! Eventually I worked up to a tough 385. I did this over a 10 month period. I also realized that I need to strengthen my knees, and improve post workout recovery. I covered part of my sled work that strengthened my knees in my 4/29/05 article "What is he doing?". Nutrition and lifestyle are the keys to workout recovery. I have touched on that area, and will continue to do so. Thanks for the questions and to "T", yes I was late this time. I have a throat that is inflammed, and it may be a no go for tommorrow. Thanks for keeping me on schedule. acudave@yahoo.com